Monday, July 01, 2013

What I've Been Up To Part 2, Deception Cancelled, The Have's and the Have Nots

What I've Been Up To

Hey darlings, it's July first so I wanted to stop in for a quick post and let you know what's been going on.
I removed most of my old posts from the blog, they haven't been completely deleted, but I removed them because I want to concentrate on what I'm doing right now. I know many of my old posts were redundant, and or filled with old information as well.

I am absolutely continuing my free read. It will be up by mid month. I will eventually do a back story post on how it evolved from the short story I originally planned into what it is now.

So look for the update around the week of the 15th.

Truth be told, in the past I have been so consistent about putting so much on my plate that nothing has been getting done in any kind of timely manner. So I am literally taking it one thing at a time and putting myself on a schedule in order to get it done. 





Deception Cancelled



So Deception was cancelled after one season, so no more Joanna and Julian :(
I enjoyed the series, even though admittedly I didn't watch the finale due to the loud cancellation rumors I was hearing. I decided to wait and if the show was coming back for season 2 I would have caught up.
But here's what I think went wrong:

Meagan Good was miscast as the lead. She's not a bad actress, but I don't think she's capable of being a heroine. If Joanna was more of a bitchy vixen, I think she would have nailed the role.
The Bowers were an interesting family, but I feel like the show dropped the ball on the diversity that could have been displayed. The only two black people on the show were Meagan and Laz Alonzo (who had NO chemistry as a couple).
I think the show could have been a lot more interesting if the character of Vivian, whose death facilitates the start of the show, had been alive.

And finally, another death knell in the coffin of the show was skipping over Julian and Joanna's love scene?!
What the hell was that? I was - quite - pissed off when they did it. It's a primetime show called Deception, your audience is expecting titillation and a side order of sleaze.

The Haves and Have Nots



Lawd.

I won't go too much into this, but my main gripe is what is it with Tyler Perry and his inability to portray a BW/WM relationship that isn't dysfunctional and solely about lust? He did it in The Family That Preys (Sanaa Lathan and Cole Hauser) and here we are again with Tika Sumpter and John Schneider. Ironic that I say this after my last thoughts on Deception, but you really do need to find the balance.


Talk Soon,

Rachel 




No comments: