Sunday, April 21, 2013

What I've Been Up To, Free BW/WM Read, Scandal Madness and Changing Tastes

Jason Momoa is my eye candy for the day.

Hey all. I really hope you've been well. I have been okay. Currently I'm in the process of finishing my long awaited first novel. I feel like it's so close, yet so far away. You guys have no idea how many times I will start to write, and then trash like pages of work, if I don't like it. I always kind of knew that I needed to be able to feel what I'm writing, or it never works. But now - it's plainly obvious.
If I write for the sake of writing, and I have no passion or love behind it, it reads like pure crap. And I really can't have that.



So for the sake of not driving myself crazy, I am only going to work on one story at a time, and completely focus on it. I'm currently working on wrapping up my historical western, Someone to Watch Over Me, which features a Spanish/Native American male lead and black female. I've literally been working on this story on and off for ten tears, and boy does it show. LOL. You can literally see my change of writing style from the beginning of the book through to where I am now. So when it's done it's just the first draft, and I'll go back and clean it up. I'm really proud of it, though. I don't know, of course how it will be received by readers,  but I really am putting my everything into it. It has to be great until the last page.

I'm planning on writing about 2 short stories after this novel is finished and then I'm going to start working on Once Is Never Enough. I'm weighing whether or not I will write the beginning over and shorten the sex scenes. I haven't read it in a while, and I don't even want to look at it until I can  really work on it again.

And of course I have to finish up my free read A Dangerous Man. (I'll be doing a back story post on that soon, in the meantime enjoy chapters 1 through 3 at the top of the blog.)

Source Facebook Scandal


So Scandal is on yet another hiatus. I think we have another week to go. I was thinking about reviewing the show for my blog. I probably will come to think of it, since I'm off from my wage job on Fridays. If you haven't gotten into the show yet, do yourself a favor and get season one and watch it from the beginning otherwise you'll be completely lost.
I hear tell of Scandal fans petitioning ABC about the multiple hiatus'. I personally admit that I figured they would be playing the episodes straight through until the finale, but they obviously had other plans. Quiet as it's kept I thought it would get cancelled after Season one. Not because it wasn't a good show, but because ABC wouldn't support and nurture it. I mean if it wasn't for Shonda Rhimes' Grey's Anatomy success, I doubt ABC would have greenlit it in the first place.

The other day I was having a conversations with a friend, Sophie :) via email and we ending up on the topic of changing tastes regarding what we're intrigued by in IR romance. I thought that was interesting because I have what I considered old faves that I look on now, and can't really get into as far as the story.

And it's happened with my own writing. It's been 6 years since my first ebook was published and so much about me has changed. If I went into details, trust it would be like writing another book :)

But I'm in a better place.

Change is good ...   



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, thanks for the update. I'm so glad your working on someone to watch over me. I hope you are able to publish it soon.

I was someone you gave the honor of reviewing a draft of your story years ago. Even now I find it very fascinating,

I'm sure with the changes your making it will be even better.

Looking forward to your publishing date.

Hayat Ali

Rachel Cade said...

Thanks so much Hayat!!! I'm working on it. Hope you are well.

Naomi James said...

HEY RACHEL!! Glad to see that you still draw breath on this side of Heaven. :-) Hit me up when you get a chance.

KiKi

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Hayat said. And Hayat, I need to pick up your extended copy of your vampire novel! I bought it years ago and never got the longer version.

Ljay