Friday, April 18, 2014

Scandal Finale Thoughts







[Spoilers Ahead]


So, the Scandal Season Finale aired last night, and I want to preface my review by saying I am giving Shonda Rimes a pass because the season was four episodes shorter than it should have been due to Kerry Washington's pregnancy. That is the only possible reason for the plot driven heavy episode we were treated to last night.

One thing I think the show gets right is the absurdity of the political arena and the power the media holds to sway public opinion.

However, having a church blow up and killing the president's son in the same episode was just too much. And can bacterial meningitis really work that fast? Seriously?

Another thing, after church explosion, Sally Langston's security wouldn't have allowed her to stay on the site, she would have been whisked away by force, come on.

Poor Adnan, what a waste of character she turned out to be. Also, don't be surprised of Harrison is found dead on season 4, thanks the actors serious legal troubles in real life. I was so surprised that he knew info about Olivia's mother and wouldn't tell her, instead opting to tell Daddy Pope instead.

Quinn and Huck gross me out, if that's how I'm supposed to feel, mission accomplished, but they would have been better off as friends. Where can their story possibly go now? Quinn, even crazy isn't interesting to me. She hasn't been important to the show since she was Olivia's client.

What was the point of having Mellie raped by Fitz' dad, and have a child from the rape that Fitz raised as his own, only to kill him off without Fitz finding out the truth about the paternity?

And finally let's talk about the Pope family.
Can we give Shonda an award for creating the most dysfunctional black family on network t.v. ? If there is an award for that, give it to her!
I don't think anyone was surprised that Daddy Pope had a self serving agenda. I was almost hoping that he and Maya had been working together, and their whole story had been a ruse for something bigger. But I will admit I was surprised at the lengths he would go to 'make his daughter happy' and get revenge on the president for taking his job. I think this pretty much seals it that Daddy Pope needs to die in Season 4, the only despicable/likeable person I can take on this show is Cyrus.
I wish that we were able to learn more about Maya Pope, she really is a fascinating character. And she would have been more interesting is we knew WHY she was doing all these horrible deeds. So far the explanation has been that she's a sociopath. Fair enough, but I still want to know more about her. 


I really don't understand Olivia, why is it that she thinks she can walk away from a life she's so willingly mired herself in? I know a lot of people don't like Abby, but she has a point. You have this makeshift family that you purposely went out and collected, and then you abandon them. And then you leave them in the care of your father, a man you've barely/not trusted over the past few years. She really is running away from her problems. Of course she won't stay gone, and I hope this fall Olivia returns kicking ass, taking names and new clients.

 

No comments: